Tuesday, August 01, 2006

church ministry is hard

Dear blog,

It’s been a while. Much has happened:

Sunday was the craziest Sunday I’ve ever had. All of my high schoolers helping me lead the music are out on a mission trip. I was left with a drummer, bass player, and piano player. My piano player called on Saturday and said he couldn’t make it, and my drummer didn’t show up on Sunday morning - again!

My friends Ashley and Jenny agreed to sing with me when I asked on Saturday. Jenny stepped up on Sunday and said she could play piano. She did great. I’d like to have them sing again. Perhaps this Sunday? I’ve decided that I’m going to use my High School band drummer from now on.

When we found out we had no drummer like 10 minutes before the service, Jenny called our friend Tyler. He showed up to church during our 2nd song. I made sure to pray in between songs when he came to give him a chance to come up on stage. When I finished praying, everyone looked up and there was a drummer. Ty is an awesome drummer. Chris Davis text messaged me saying “that drummer was amazing.”

I guess what I can learn from this stressful Sunday is a lesson in surrounding myself and my ministry with a committed team who take the ministry and make it their own. I cannot do it on my own (to my dismay). I think finding those people is going to be tough (not just now, but for the rest of my life in ministry).

I think I’m the kind of person that likes to either work alone, or be pretty much in charge. I’m quickly learning that that needs to change. I need to learn how do delegate and let go of details and whatever. I need to put some faith in people and let God do what He will with things.

God, thanks for continuing to teach me.

No comments: