Tuesday, July 10, 2007

collegeministry

I've been the college minister at Mag for about 12 or 13 days now ... here are some thoughts:

1. College ministry is hard.

2. I, having just graduated college, probably am not the most qualified for the job. **

3. No, having CBU across the street does not equal a large (or healthy) college ministry for Mag.

4. I see why a lot of college groups end up being a separate 'church' in and of themselves. The college mindset aims more at being different and unique (neither a negative thing). However, this can take a college ministry far from the church's overall strategy of operating and reaching the lost. I don't want to start a new church within one.

5. Programing is difficult. I'm having to answer seemingly impossible questions like: if a midweek program at the church isn't very effective, but in-home Bible studies are during the week, what do I do on Sunday morning? At the same time, my church's strategy is to make Sunday morning a staple for each ministry - so what do I do during the week? How can I get college students to want to come to the church they just left home from? How can I reach the 70,000+ college students in Riverside? Can a college ministry survive the summer? What's the college ministry at Mag's niche in this community?

6. I really miss Whitney. I know you think it doesn't have much to do with college ministry, but for me it does. You see, she's a big part of my life, and when I don't have her to bounce ideas off of and encourage me all the time, things are different. It affects everything... so, I miss her.

7. I'm cheezy. I realized this (in a more real way than ever) last Sunday when I was trying to meet all the new High School grads coming to college Bible Study. I turn into a cheeze ball when I meet new people - its my attempt to connect to them in some way while making them feel welcomed at the same time. I wonder if I can change this to become more cool ... hmmm

8. College ministry is hard.


** Although, I also realize that neither Jacob, Moses, Jonah, Paul, nor all 12 disciples were the most qualified for their jobs either. While I do recognize the gifts that God has given me, I also revel in the fact that if there be any "sucess," it will be God's doing, not mine.

9 comments:

carsonbelmont said...

Well....I think that although it is hard, you have a good opportunity to make it happen. If it was easy than it probably would not be genuine. But hey 23 days.

Whitney said...

I miss you too! And I second Cars. I think you're the perfect man for the job as long as it's God's work you're doing!

Anonymous said...

I think the best advice i can give you is....just quit..im totally kidding, i actually have zero advice. But how are you man? it has been a long time. I didn't know you were into photography at all. I like your pictures. It will be good to see you sometime when im down there. Keep trying to figure out that stuff. I actually admire you for what you do in church because you are working hard to be better and fix things.

Jenni said...

Hey Jon! How are you doing? I stop by your blog every once in awhile and I enjoy reading so thanks. Concerning this particular blog, I can definitely see how difficult it is and how it will be for you Jon but I'm glad you know the Lord can and will work through you. I wanted to comment specifically on one phrase you wrote-"I don't want to start a new church within one." I think that you are on the right track, not that what I think matters:) If you can get them tapped into the whole body, and not just themselves, then I believe your college ministry will really begin to grow. So many times I think college students try to separate themselves from the very thing they need, community within the body of Christ that provides wisdom and love outside of the college world. I don't want to write forever but I understand the difficulty. We struggle with it in our church as well. I'll pray for you and I miss Whitney too!

the McWhorters said...

Thanks Jenni, thats awesome advice - I agree that college students want to separate themselves not knowing that will hurt them ... thanks for your prayers!

Merea said...

Jon,
Wow. I really enjoyed reading this post. I appreciate that you have really thought through the college ministry. It is such a hard struggle at our church as well and I appreciate that you recognize that being separate from the existing body is detrimental. There is a group at our church, that doesn't do much else but go to college group.

Let me say that I admire that you are doing the job and excited that you might make a difference in the church that is so near the college. I am excited to see what God will do with your faithfulness. Glad we are friends, you're a good guy. Go Whitney!

Whitney said...

What can I say, I know how to pick'em!

walter said...

I just want to say Amen to everyone else. I think you'll do a great job. You have a great God and great genes!!! 8-)

Unknown said...

So i'm like a month late commenting on this but... oh well.
Brah, just be yourself and enjoy the ride. No one ever said it would be easy. God will take care of everything as long as you are faithful to present Him to the congregation. Be real. This generation needs authentic. We hate fake. We see it and laugh... then walk away. And we are good at spotting it... we've had alot of years to practice with our parent's genereation of "fad followers."
If this doesn't make any sense... sorry. I like how Rob Bell put it in his book Velvet Elvis. He said that the christian life is like jumping on a trampoline... it is a good thing. Intive your friends to jump along. The reality is... we have God's truth and we get to share and talk about it with others... this is your opprotunity to share it. Be authentic.